Hacking Project Management
August 15, 2023
Welcome back to Business Unfiltered, today's topic is Project Management.
2:32 : Project Management Learnings. The story of how they started working together. The idea of the ideal workday. Why a task should never be completed. A hack to change the language process.
6:22: How to create a virtual desk. The second half of the story. A productivity reporting system for the team. Using project management terms to have a better conversation. Creating an evergreen, evergreen environment. Everything is in one place now. A big simplification of the tools is necessary.
12:11 : The stigma of project management and Clickup. Three things Jeff has never heard of before. The stigma of project management. Going back to spreadsheets for the whole world view. Introducing a second brand.
15:45 : How to change the status of a task. The status hack, done but not complete. The first status, assigned but unaware. The process of checking for errors. The process is called TBV being right.
19:35 : Transitioning to a digital file system. The process of TBV. Using the assignee section to define whose desk it is on. Building a shadow system in Google Drive. Organizing the hierarchy of Google Drive folders.
22:11 : Hacks by nature aren’t permanent. Reorganizing Google drive and other areas. Championing the system for ease of use. Day-to-day management of the project. The shadow system with Google Drive.
26:19 : How to use the working on date field to improve productivity. Working on this today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next quarter, next year. Working on dates. Being willing to be wrong and having back-up. The importance of having a weekly meeting.
29:52 : No more babysitting. No more babysitting, just now. Blocked status, see comments and see comments.
Never automate a system before planning it out.
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- Defining project management: In this episode, the hosts delve into the concept of project management and how it can be defined. Jeff shares his perspective on project management and its importance in achieving business goals.
- Project management learnings: Mercer and Jeff discuss their own experiences working together and share insights into the idea of the ideal workday. They challenge the notion of completing tasks and offer a hack to change the language around task completion.
- Creating a virtual desk: The hosts explain how they established a virtual desk system for their team, including implementing a productivity reporting system. They highlight the benefits of using project management terms to enhance communication and create an organized and evergreen environment.
- Addressing the stigma of project management: Mercer and Jeff address the misconceptions and stigma associated with project management. They share their experiences with different tools, including ClickUp, and discuss simplifying the project management process to overcome barriers.
- Status hacks and transitioning to a digital file system: The hosts explore status hacks within project management, such as using specific terms to indicate the progress of tasks. They also discuss the transition to a digital file system, using Google Drive as an example, and how to organize folders effectively.
- Leveraging working on dates for improved productivity: Mercer and Jeff highlight the significance of using working on dates to prioritize tasks and improve productivity. They emphasize the importance of being willing to adjust plans, having backups, and conducting regular weekly meetings to ensure smooth project management.