Buying Your Time Back as a Business Owner
July 25, 2023
Welcome to business unfiltered with Mercer and Jeff Sauer.
0:00: What does it mean to buy your time back? The idea of buying time back.
2:23: Strategies for buying your time back. Categorize the strategy by category at a time. Hiring a generalist to balance you and your business. Finishing out day-to-day activities.
6:06: A perfect use case for this technique. Invoicing for high-ticket clients. The mental energy that comes from sending invoices. Half of people are still sending their own invoices. How to get paid for invoicing.
9:56: How much does it cost to do video editing? Replacing a bookkeeper for less than $1,000 per month. 10x offloading tasks. Hiring an outsourcer in the Philippines to edit videos. Mental energy is the biggest release.
14:05: Hiring a video editor and executive assistant. Offloading website design and scheduling.
16:34: Hiring an executive assistant. How the idea of an assistant has changed. How to respond to hundreds of emails. Understanding how an editor thinks and what the editor might need before giving it to a specialist. Understanding measurement and how measurement works.
20:48: The best entrepreneurs are entrepreneurs. The best entrepreneurs are the best business owners. The book buying your time back. Being an entrepreneur is not farming, it is hunting. The hunter farmer.
24:28: The problem with thinking everyone is like you. Hiring the right team members for the job. The hunter farmer analogy. Nine to one, farmers to hunters. Who can do this for you vs you.
28:52: The importance of having a to do list. Moving up the topic of the V.A. Delegating tasks to others to make it a to-do list. Recognizing the pattern.
Topics Covered In This Episode
- Discussion on the idea of "buying your time back" as a business owner, with hosts Mercer and Jeff Sauer elaborating on various strategies, including hiring a generalist to balance business operations and how to effectively delegate day-to-day activities.
- A Practical Use Case: Invoicing - An exploration of invoicing as a perfect example of a task that can be outsourced. This section delves into the mental energy required for such tasks, and the surprising fact that many business owners still handle invoicing themselves.
- Offloading Tasks: Video Editing and Bookkeeping - Analysis of cost-effective strategies for offloading tasks like video editing and bookkeeping, including hiring offshore resources. The hosts emphasize how this not only saves time but also frees up mental energy for more crucial business decisions.
- The Role of an Executive Assistant - Discussion on the changing role of executive assistants, how they can handle tasks like email management, scheduling, and website design, and the importance of understanding the thought process and anticipating the business owners' needs.
- Entrepreneurial Mindset and the Hunter-Farmer Analogy - Insights on how successful entrepreneurs effectively manage their time, with references to the book "Buying Your Time Back." This section explores the "hunter vs farmer" analogy and the dangers of assuming that all team members work or think the same way.
- The Importance of a To-Do List and Task Delegation - A segment highlighting the importance of having a to-do list, with hosts sharing personal experiences and strategies for effective task delegation, and the concept of moving up the "topic of the VA." The episode wraps up with the hosts emphasizing the need to recognize patterns in work routines to optimize time management.